This Christmas have your child (yes, even toddler) make some of these Super Simple Christmas Cards
(M was 2 here. See the Handy Tips at the bottom for ideas to Simplify or Extend to meet your childs needs)
Materials: Cardboard (for cards), green paper, sequins, glue
Cut triangles (or have your child do it, M cut these ones) of green paper and then let them stick them onto the cardboard cards and then embellish with different sized, shaped and coloured sequins.
Picking up those slippery little sequins is great practice for their Fine Motor Skills and choosing and placing their sequins is great to develop their creativity and to talk about Colours, Shapes and Sizes.
They were incredibly simple yet came up looking great. I loved the different colours and designs she chose.
To learn more about the benefits of working on the inside of the card together, see here
- Simplify this activity by pre folding/cutting the cardboard cards and green triangles. Provide together with the sequins and allow your child to paste and place them. Encourage them to think about who each card might be for first so that they can consider and choose colours and designs with the person in mind.
- Extend this activity by having your child work on the folding and cutting of the cards and triangle trees themselves. Add extra craft materials that they can get creative with.
- Use this opportunity to talk with your child about Shapes, Patterns, Colours, Sizes and other topics that may come up in the course of the experience
- Add numeracy skills by challenging your child to use a different amount of sequins on each design. This will encourage counting and concepts of more and less.
- Write the inside of the cards together. Even if your child is pre-writing, involve them in the process and discuss the types of things included in Christmas cards together.
- We share more ideas and tips about making greeting cards with kids here
New Here? Subscribe to get all activities sent directly to you
Are you on Facebook? We are and we'd love to see you there. You can also find us on Pinterest, Twitter and G+ too. :)