What's in the Box?
Age: approx. 6 months to 2 years
Materials: Box with lid and things to put inside
Today the box has things to shake. Mini maracas and shaker eggs
Baby is Learning:
- Fine motor skills
- Hand and eye coordination
- Cause and effect (ie. moving this object creates this sound)
- Object Permanence (ie. just because I can't see it doesn't mean it's not there)
- How to remove a lid to reveal hidden objects
- How to replace a lid on a box
- How to grasp small objects
- What to do
- Emotions. Surprise, anticipation & excitement.
- Repeat this activity as often as you like as babies (and children) need repetition in order to consolidate their learning and understanding
- Mix it up by placing new and different things in the box for them to discover
- Extend this activity for older babies by having them replace the lid on the box or by guessing what's in the box first
- Talk to your baby about what they are doing. This will help them begin to understand the physical and mental processes they are going through as well as helping develop their vocabulary.
- Supervise. Babies must be supervised at all times. One of the main ways that they learn about objects is by putting them in their mouth, so please be cautious about what you are providing them or what they could access.
- Give your baby your time. It's the best gift you could ever give them.
New Here? Subscribe to get all activities sent directly to you
If you haven't come over to play with us on facebook yet, we'd love to see you there. Hey, we're also on Twitter now too.