For fun and learning for kids, follow us on Pinterest.
For a quick and easy Christmas themed activity, that focuses on creativity, counting, number recognition, fine-motor skills and a bit of added literacy, I made these Christmas Tree Play Mats.
Print, laminate and then present them to your child with some playdough, loose parts, numbers and/or whiteboard markers. Too easy.
Click here for your copy of the Christmas Tree Playmat or click the picture above.
Above are examples of loose parts that you might like to provide to play with. If you don't have wooden numbers, you can easily make your own set of numbers by writing them on recycled milk-bottle lids. Children can also make numbers from playdough or write on a laminated copy of the Christmas Tree Playmat with whiteboard markers.
- Simplify this activity for younger children by not putting a huge emphasis on the numbers. Play around with design and patterns and slowly introduce some counting of numbers between 1-5. You can write or place the corresponding number in the space to aid children with number recognition.
- Extend this activity for older children by providing a couple of die with their playmat and loose parts. Have children roll the dice and add the 2 numbers together. You can continue to extend the maths experiences with extra dice or practicing subtraction etc. Encourage children to subitise as they roll the dice.
- Talk with children about what they are doing or experiencing. This will help to give them the language that corresponds with their actions.
- Laminating the playmats will allow you to reuse them over and over again.
- Add some little shape cutters for making fancy ornaments from playdough... or pair playdough and sequins together. Fun!
Some more Christmas Activities and Crafts from us:
- 26 Christmas Decorations kids can make
- Simple DIY Christmas Lanterns
- 5 Christmas Tree Activities
- How to make your own Shivery Snow
- Playdough Christmas Tree Printable Gift Bags
- Christmas Decoration Creation Station
- 5 Christmas themed Sensory play ideas
- 10 Christmas activities for Toddlers
- Make a simple Tinsel Table Tree
- Toddler made Candy Cane decorations
- Giving for Children. How to be a Christmas Angel
- 10 Fun Christmas Food Ideas
- Ribbon Tree Christmas Card
- Super Simple Christmas Cards
- DIY Bubblewrap Christmas Cards
Look where else we are. Are you following along? :)
New Here? Subscribe to get all activities sent directly to you